Saturday, February 12, 2011

The cost of living...

I rear-ended a truck on a busy street this morning. Whoops. Fortunately, I was only going about 10 miles an hour so there were no injuries...and the other driver's car was fine. Unfortunately, though, my Prius didn't get away as easily...the entire front is going to need to be replaced.

Unlike how I've reacted before when this has happened (yep, it's happened multiple times...I am a terrible driver!) the tears didn't immediately well-up in my eyes, and I didn't feel a pit in my stomach. I was calm and oddly uneffected. I sincerely apologized to the other driver, looked at my car and shrugged. Yeah, it's going to cost a pretty penny to fix it...but it really didn't phase me. I was just so relieved that it wasn't worse.

Many thanks to what my dad told me growing up, I was able to just get back in my car and go on without letting it ruin my day. Whenever something bad happened when I was younger, I would go to my dad, typically crying, and as long as it's not something to do with life & death, he's always comforted me by saying:

"Well, that's the cost of living. Stuff like that happens to everyone. It's ok"
OR
"It's not cancer. You'll be ok."

Both comments quickly put everything into perspective. When I looked at the damage of my car, knowing it could have been worse (injuries), I immediately thought to myself, "this is just the cost of living."

So, as I drove away from the scene, with a crunched-in front bumper missing the Toyota emblem, I just thought...it's an absolutely gorgeous, quintessential So-Cal day and I'm not gonna let a little fender bender get in the way of enjoying it.

Happy Saturday!!
xoxo