Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Sweet Potato Mac 'n Cheese…yuuuuuummm!


***NOTE ABOUT GF BANANA DATE MUFFINS BELOW ***

I should have mentioned in my last post about the GF muffins - they are best when slightly under-baked so they are still really soft and slightly gooey…the texture is so scrumptious.  Also, I often just do the standard recipe without the optional additions that I listed - if you add carrots or zucchini, I recommend also adding a couple tablespoons of your sweetener of choice (coconut nectar is ideal, or raw honey) to balance the flavors.  

Ok, now, on to today's recipe!  I made this tonight and couldn't help eating it right out of the baking dish…it's one of my favorite recipes, and as with all dishes that I will be posting, babies & daddies love it too!


Sweet Potato Mac 'n Cheeeeeeeese!



2 cups cooked whole-wheat or rice noodles - (my fave are the fusilli whole wheat)
1 large sweet potato (or 1 medium + 1/2 of another) - baked until very soft
1/2 tsp mustard (i use Dijon)
juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsps nutritional yeast
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 
1/2 tsp garlic powder (I often increase this a bit, to taste)
salt & pepper (to taste)
1 tbsp nutritional yeast for topping (separate from above)

  • in a bowl, mix all ingredients with a whisk or fork EXCEPT potato, noodles and the 1 tbsp yeast reserved for topping 
  • add in sweet potato and mash with fork; mix thoroughly 
  • gently fold in the noodles
  • pour mixture into 8x8 baking dish
  • sprinkle remaining 1 tbsp of yeast on top
  • bake 400 degrees for 10 min or until slightly crispy on top

i love this recipe because it's so flavorful, it almost feels guilty…but it's totally packed with nutrition.  i usually just roast some green veggies along with it (on a separate baking pan) and voila!  dinner is served!

xoxo