Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Finally here...

Hello friend. So...I can't believe it's January. Most of my last year was spent wondering what it would be like to be here. It always seemed so far away. 2010 was a dramatic & turbulent rollercoaster full of my highest highs and lowest lows, creating the biggest changes in my life...setting me up for where I am today. I just can't believe it's a reality...will somebody please pinch me?!

I'm starting 2011 in an entirely new position with my long-time (amazing) employer. After spending 9 years in sales (which is something that I just totally fell into in my early 20s and have always known it wasn't going to be my 'forever' career) I have now basically started all over again...doing marketing & events.

This position was born early last year...shortly after I resigned from my job. Yep, I quit. I had suffered through a miscarriage, and it took me through an incredible spiral of emotions...leading me to hold onto one thought - there is purpose in this. There is a reason this happened to me. I need to learn something from this in order to make sense of it all.

For me, that purpose was a wake-up call, telling me to slow down. Smell the roses. Live what I love. Enjoy what I do everyday. Be challenged. Be creative. Do what comes naturally to me. Create positive change.

Well, after numerous meetings, conference calls and emails, my incredibly supportive and generous employer offered me a position I couldn't turn down. They listened to what I wanted to do next in my career (be more creative...get far, far away from sales...write...) and they saw it as an opportunity to utilize my experience and interests in an entirely different way. The best part....drum roll please.......I work from home on a part-time schedule!! I go into the office for 5 hours every Wed but otherwise here I am...sitting at my new fab white lacquer desk (love!!), learning a new side of the biz, constantly being challenged. I am basically starting all over again. It's totally crazy. But totally good, too.

The only catch...because I'm working from home, and I'm really enjoying what I'm doing, I'm actually working a lot more than what I thought I would be. In fact, I can't stop working!! New ideas & thoughts are constantly nagging at me...and there is always one more follow up call to make or one more email to write. Don't get me wrong - I'm totally not complaining. But it's just funny that I'm working harder now than I did all last year (shhhh!). The difference though - I'm loving what I'm doing. And that's all that matters. Of course, there is a substantial financial difference in my new position...but let me tell ya, doing something you enjoy is soooooo worth having to tweek your lifestyle a bit.

Not sure how this year is gonna go...but so far, so good. I hope you are enjoying whatever it is that you might be doing...and I hope this year brings you happiness, passion & success in all that you do.

xxoo