Friday, February 25, 2011

Superfoods...sooo yummy!

We've all heard the term "superfood" in recent years...you know, the natural foods that are full of maximum nutrition, helping to fight various cancers, heart disease, signs of aging, and much, much more. I try to incorporate superfoods in my everyday cuisine, and just thought I'd share the top picks so you can also try to include in your daily diet! And buy organic whenever possible - studies show that organic produce can offer up to 50% more nutrition than conventional!!
  • Blueberries (raspberries, strawberries, blackberries too!)

  • Black beans

  • Sweet potatoes

  • Salmon

  • Spinach (kale & other dark leafy greens)

  • Broccoli

  • Walnuts

  • Tomatoes

  • Dark chocolate - woo hoo!!!

  • Soy

  • Oatmeal

  • Onions




In a recent issue of Men's Health, studies show that a sweet potato is actually the healthiest veggie we can eat! Even more than spinach, broccoli and brussel sprouts! And it happens to taste delicious, so I was thrilled to hear...

Oh, and one of my favorite healthy sweet treats - homemade super healthy raspberry wanna-be sorbet:

  • 1 cup frozen organic raspberries, let thaw (about 1 hour - or microwave for 15 sec)

  • Drizzle 1 tsp of honey once thawed

  • For extra sweetness, I sometimes add 1/4 frozen banana (when ripe, I peel, wrap in tinfoil and freeze - then let defrost with raspberries when ready to eat)

Delicious!! And totally curbs the crazy sweet-tooth I have while adding super nutrition!