Friday, February 10, 2012

Perspective...

Last year, I did a post that ran through a laundry-list of inspirational life quotes.  Well, as I've continued through my journey here, I am often reminded of the importance of gratitude, and keeping things in perspective; how ATTITUDE is everything. 

I was catching up with a close friend this morning and she was telling me how she was going through a stressful time in her relationship with her boyfriend - much due to the fact that she comes home every night and the second he asks "how was your day?" she launches immediately into how frustrated and unhappy she is at work...spiraling into an evening of additional stress and discomfort; bringing all the negativity that she's encountered at work, into her home; reliving the emotions over and over again.

This is something I learned a long time ago...don't bring work home (funny, since Matt and I both work primarily from home!).  We both have busy days that often contain lots of various challenges (we all do, right?!)...but when it comes to dinner-time every night, neither of us bring any of it to the table.  We consciously choose to be present during our time together, focusing our energy on subjects that don't bring up negative emotion, and rather spend our evenings enjoying each other - knowing well that whatever frustrating thing happened during the day will only continue to bother us if we keep it "alive" by talking about it. 

Now, of course, you want to be able to communicate and share with your partner - and Matt and I do - but we don't bring up our "issues" during our few precious hours together in the evening.  If it's important enough to share, it's typically something we talk about over the weekend...but honestly, most work-related issues are just simply not important enough to talk about, and by the time the weekend rolls around, it's just not worth it.

A few quotes that help me keep things in perspective...

"You are responsible for the energy you create for yourself and for the energy you bring to others."

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.  ATTITUDE is everything."

"Gratitude is the greatest treasure."

Below is a photo from our honeymoon...it reminds me of how grateful I am.  Remind yourself of all the beautiful treasures you have in your life.  xxo